Hello, I’m Andrea Magee. I’m a photographer based in Dawson City, Yukon. My love for photography started quite innocently. Living in the North, especially Dawson City, which is located 540 kilometres north of Whitehorse, Yukon you spend a lot of time driving. I love seeing wildlife and often wished I had a camera that could capture all the great animals that I would see. So, several years ago, I purchased my first DSLR – a Nikon D5000 and a Nikkor 70-300 mm lens. I have since updated to a Nikon D750 and acquired some great lenses which have truly opened my world. I’m constantly out and about in this great place where I live, hoping to capture the extraordinary – being an event in town, a flower, a wonderful sunset or animal.
As I travel to my partner’s mine off the Top of the World Highway every weekend in the summer, I have this opportunity to experience some great views of the Ogilivie Mountains, wildlife and some unique sights. This is where I find most of my inspiration, living on the Top of the World.
Who am I?
- I have lived in the Yukon 25 years,
- I have always enjoyed great outdoors and all the activities that came with it. You can often find me sitting out in the middle of somewhere waiting for that great shot!
- I love the deep connection I feel to wildlife – especially northern animals.
- I drive the Top of the World highway on a weekly basis to my partner’s mining camp – where I spend my weekends, capturing/participating in the mining lifestyle, capturing wildlife and wonderful natural views.
- Self taught photographer and yes, always looking for opportunities to learn and grow in my photography.
- Who inspires me to work towards that great shot? Paul Zizka, John Marriott, Peter Mather and Sonny Parker, just to name a few.